Are you ready to take the Texas License to Carry Class DPS Approved?
Thanks for visiting our website, and now lets walkthrough the Steps to Get Your Texas LTC / CHL
Please note that these steps apply to most applicants, but uncommon situations may require additional or different steps.
Steps 2 and 3 can be completed in any order!
Step 2: Register for LTC Class
NO PAPERWORK IS NEEDED FOR THE CLASS
You can complete the application and fingerprints after completing the Online LTC Course
Click here to start taking the License to Carry (LTC) class online. Our class has all the latest legal updates. It can be taken anytime on any device.
Step 3: Apply to Texas DPS
Click here to fill out the Texas DPS online state application.
What is the cost? The Texas DPS processing fee is different from our class fee.
- $40 Standard Fee for Initial License
- \$25 Military Veteran – ETS or Retired over 365 days
- $0 Active Duty – Includes Active Guard, Texas State Guard & Reserves
You must complete Step 3 BEFORE Step 4 and Step 6.
Step 5: Gather LTC Supporting Documents
Once you successfully complete the class and shooting proficiency demonstration, save the LTC / CHL class completion certificate (LTC-100 / CHL-100 / LTC-101) you receive from us.
Documents you need to submit to Texas DPS if you are any of the following:
If you were born outside of the United States of America (U.S.), submit a copy of one of the following documents:
- U.S. Passport,
- Certificate of Naturalization, or
- Certificate of Birth Abroad.
Active Duty or Reserve Service Member
If you are Active Duty, Active Reserve, or National Guard, submit a copy of your Military ID (front and back) and one of the following documents:
- Copy of current Leave and Earnings Statement (LES),
- Copy of current active duty orders,
- Copy of current enlistment contract, or
- Letter from your current commanding officer.
Not a Texas Resident / Out of state
Submit a copy of your state drivers license or identification card in color (front and back).
Retired and active members of the law enforcement community (for example, judges, prosecutors, peace officers, jailers) should refer to the Texas DPS instructions here.
Step 6: Submit Supporting Documents to Texas DPS
Step 7: Wait
Await processing by Texas DPS. Depending on the time of year, processing takes a few days to several weeks. Texas DPS will notify you by mail if further information or additional documents are required. You can always check Texas LTC application status through the DPS Website.
Texas LTC Questions and Answers
- No Felony Convictions Ever
- No Class A or B Misdemeanors five years before applying with the State of Texas
- Eligible to purchase handguns
- 21 years of age or older unless active-duty military
- 18 and older for active-duty military
You must submit form LTC-6, two passport style photos and a copy of their out-of-state driver license or state issued identification card.